From Wesley back to Calvin...or something like that.
Tomorrow is my last Sunday at Greenland Hills United Methodist Church where I have served as Music Director for a little over two years. My first Sunday two years ago was on Pentecost - one week after I graduated from Perkins School of Theology. I am grateful for these two years in music ministry. I have learned much about myself and much about others. I know God has made a difference in people's lives through me and for that I am thankful. At the end of the day, I feel most satisfied if a difference has been made - that a song we have sung or a word spoken or a conversation has lifted someone's spirits. I love making music with people. I love sharing new hymns and songs with others. I love helping a choir improve. I love working with children's choirs. But, the most important calling I have is to be with people - to listen - to love. Not always easy. I've been receiving a lot of emails and comments from people. It reminds me that so much is going on through music making. Music making is the vehicle for ministry to happen. I never want to loose sight of that.
Just a few "snapshots" of ministry at GHUMC.
![]() |
| 1st Recital / September, 2010 |
| Children's Choir of GHUMC and other Children's Choirs at the Choristers Guild Children's Choir Festival / Feb. 2012 |
| All smiles after the Festival concert! |
| Children's Choir getting ready to lead the worship service on a Sunday morning. |
| Leading a sung prayer response with Orff instruments. |
| Singing "He Came Down" with drumming to invite the congregation to bring their "Walk to the Manger Offering" 2011 |
| Children's Choir Singing in Worship |
![]() |
| Members of the GHUMC choir Drummers - Carol Montgomery and Brittany Burrows on World Communion Sunday, 2011 |
![]() |
| Look at those singers! |
![]() |
| Leading the congregation in song. |
Another Goodbye...
I began teaching Kindermusik in January of 2010. I had just completed my music ministry internship at Highland Park United Methodist Church and was in my final semester at Perkins. I had heard of Kindermusik before and was excited to have this opportunity to use my teaching skills. I LOVE Kindermusik. It has truly been one of the biggest blessings in my life. I have worked for the studio Soundsteps here in Dallas, directed by Lisa Muratore. Lisa is also a Perkins grad and will remain a colleague and friend. She is wonderful and does an amazing job running the best Kindermusik studio!
I have taught mostly the youngest age classes: Village (newborns - 18 month olds and their caregivers) and Our Time classes (18 month olds - 3 yr olds and their caregivers). I LOVE working with little ones and equally with their parents and caregivers. I have learned so much teaching the curriculums (as well as about 1,000 or something songs!). I have also recently taught Kindermusik at the Greenland Hills UMC Preschool and a couple semesters of "Sign and Sing", a class for 6month olds - 3yr olds and their parents that teaches ASL Signs through singing.
I'm certified for life! So, who knows? Maybe I'll get to teach Kindermusik again someday. I will remain a life-time advocate for the program and forever grateful for the blessing it has been in my life. There is nothing like starting every day with children 6 yrs old and younger who are full of life, full of smiles and hugs, and ready to soak up every song and dance you've got up your sleeve!
![]() |
| A tradition was started during "rest time" for everyone to climb into Mrs. Chelsea's "boat". |
![]() |
| taking turns playing the resonator bars |
| Me with baby Madeline Rose |
![]() |
| learning about different types of dancing - ballet, jazz and tap |
![]() |
| trying out our "tapping feet" |
![]() |
| we love scarves and pretending to "jump in the boat" |
![]() |
| "up in the sky, down to our toes, circle around zoomy-oh!" |
I don't do it alone
Through all of this - Chris has been by my side. He is a constant support, friend, listener, and encourager. He sings bass in the church choir. He's gone on hundreds of walks around the trail at our apartment complex, listening and providing steady advice. He makes me laugh, he helps me cry (when I just need to and he knows it. :>) He's carted around bags of Kindermusik supplies and sang along in the car on road-trips while I learned Kindermusik songs for the next week's classes. He's made many breakfasts, lunches and dinners, he's moved boxes, cleaned out choir folders, set-up tables, befriended choir members, made a difference in ministry too. I'm thankful for him every day.
So, What's Next?
I have accepted the position of Music Associate (full-time) at First Presbyterian Church in Fort Worth, TX. www.fpcfw.org
I am thrilled, humbled, excited...over-the-moon! I am joining a colleage and friend in ministry, Michael Waschevski, Associate Pastor there, who I have gotten to know on the Presbyterian Committee on Congregational Song (the committee I've been serving with for four years to create the new Presbyterian Hymnal.)
I will be busy!
I will be busy!
Director of the Youth Choir
Coordinate the 9:00 worship service and work with the choir in that service
Director of the 3rd-5th grade Children's Choir
Direct the Youth Handbell Ensemble and the Adult Handbell Ensemble
First Pres. is a dynamic congregation and I am honored to be in ministry there. My first official day is July 23rd.
I've got a few trips coming up that I'm looking forward to: Pittsburgh for the Presbyterian General Assembly, California to see my Mom, Marshall, and sisters, Jordan, Whitney and her husband Gino, and Winnipeg, Canada for the Hymn Society Conference! Chris is busy with his final year of grad-school and work. We are looking for a new apartment closer to FW and are both SO THANKFUL for this new adventure.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
Howard Thurman















No comments:
Post a Comment