A JOURNEY WITH A NEW HYMNAL
Beginnings
In May of 2008, I was lying in bed reading my "Presbyterians Today" magazine (naturally), up later than I should be (as always). I actually enjoy the last couple pages of the magazine and look forward to reading all the tiny-print job announcements and random advertisements. While reading all these various advertisements a small 2'' by 2'' advertisement about the Presbyterian Hymnal Committee caught my eye. I wish now I had clipped out the advertisement and saved it...but it basically stated that a new hymnal would be created for the Presbyterian Church (USA) and that they were accepting applications from interested persons wanting to serve on a hymnal committee, and specifically looking for 2 applicants under the age of 25. Wow! That got my attention. I instantly put the magazine down and thought, "I can do that." I realize now that I may not have applied had space and a place for someone like me, a "young person", not been intentionally made. I may not have applied if I'd thought, well, they probably wouldn't consider me since I'm so young. But, as has been my experience growing up in the Presbyterian Church, a place was always made for me.
So, I applied. The deadline was right around the corner. I sent in my application on June 6, 2008. The deadline was July 11, 2008. Several of my mentors (Rev. Dr. Margaret Boles, the late David R. Davidson, Dr. Randall Bradley, Dr. Michael Hawn) wrote recommendations and affirmed me in my desire to serve on the committee. In other words, I didn't get there on my own. I know that these mentors of mine and their support in my life have brought so many opportunities my way (that will have to be another blog post because I could just chase that rabbit for the rest of this post).
I received a phone call from David Eicher (Hymnal Editor), sometime in July or August of 2008 saying that I had been chosen to serve on the committee. I probably sounded like a big nerd on the phone - I was SO EXCITED. I tried to sound mature and calm and gracious. I got off the phone and literally ran around the apartment jumping up and down (ask Chris, he was there). "I'm on the Hymnal Committee!!" I realized how amazing and special this opportunity was going to be in my life, and every trip to Louisville, KY over the next four years, I continued to realize it.
Our first committee meeting was September 22 - 24, 2008. I didn't say much the first meeting. :>) I listened a lot. I came home excited, but wondering if I really had anything to offer this process. I really doubted if I did. I knew before I went, but quickly realized that most of the people sitting around that committee table knew a lot more than me about hymns, and theology, and writing hymns, and arranging hymn tunes...and I just wasn't sure if I had anything to contribute. I prayed about it. I kept asking myself (and God), what can I offer?
| The commissioning service for the PCOCS / September, 2008 |
![]() |
| Singing from The Presbyterian Hymnal (1990) at the commissioning service. |
I guess maybe about the 2nd or 3rd meeting I started voicing my opinion. I remember, as often happens with me, that people seemed a little surprised at first. I'm aware, or at least have been told, that people think I'm quiet and shy or just "really nice" and then wham! I speak my mind. (my family and people who've gotten to know me aren't surprised, I realize). Early on, the committee decided to change our name from "The Presbyterian Hymnal Committee" to "Presbyterian Committee on Congregational Song" (PCOCS - and as we have adopted, the "Peacocks"). During that conversation and that meeting, I resonated with the conviction that we all had, to include a variety of song, and for our name to send a clear message - that a variety of song has a place in worship. The variety of song I had experienced in worship at Baylor and Perkins, and at youth conferences, and hymns sings, all had a place in this new hymnal!
(For light-hearted reading about our acronym see the hymnal project blog article: http://blog.presbyterianhymnalproject.com/2012/01/peacocks-or-pcocs.html)
| My peacock, perched on the final contents of the hymnal. |
THE HIGHLIGHTS
Process makes perfect, well...at least close to perfect....
I've learned so much about process - how to organize meetings, how to approach a huge project. I've learned so much from our fearless leaders, David Eicher, Hymnal Editor, Mel Bringle, Chair of the PCOCS and Robin Howell, our project manager and shining example of hospitality-provider. I have learned from each committee member - learned the value of praying together, worshiping together, eating together, singing together. Our process of creating a new hymnal was made rich by organization, intentionality, integrity and humor. What a gift to witness this process at the beginning of my career.
![]() |
| David Eicher and Robin Howell |
| Mel Bringle (with a certain gift of the peacock variety) |
Just keep singing...just keep singing...
The first songs we decided to look at and vote on were the songs from the Presbyterian Hymnal (1990). We met and heard from Melva Costen, the Hymnal Editor for that project. We looked at surveys from over hundreds of PC(USA) congregations. A person from each of these congregations answered questions about every hymn in the 1990 hymnal:
How often does your congregation sing this hymn?
Keep this hymn?: Definitely, Maybe, No opinion, Definitely drop
We looked at every hymn in the 1990 and decided what hymns we should continue to resource the church with in this new hymnal.
We looked at thousands of submissions. We had an open submission process for one year. Anyone could send in texts or tunes, songs they had written, songs they love and wanted to see in the new hymnal...anything.
We formed "sub-committees", each responsible for dealing with a particular body of song: contemporary song, global song, hymns and songs from other denominational hymnals, hymns and songs from hymnal supplements and hymns and songs from single author or tune collections. Each of these groups sang through hundreds, some thousands of songs and hymns - drawing out items for the entire committee to consider for the new resource.
I had the exciting work of helping with the global and contemporary song groups.
![]() |
| Al, Michael, Eric, Adam and Barbara singing through other hymnals |
![]() |
| Me, Karen, Chi-Yi, Paul and David singing through Global Songs |
Pray, Sing, Eat, Worship, Pray, Sing, Eat, Worship....
We began every morning with morning prayer. We sang or prayed before lunch every day. We worshiped together as a committee and with various partners and colleagues in the Chapel at the Presbyterian National office. We sang and prayed every evening in evening prayer. In worship we sang songs being considered for the new resource, and after singing certain songs in worship, we knew they had to be in the new resource. We ate together, we laughed together, we passed the peace of Christ, we hugged, we cried, and we all felt the Holy Spirit moving.
![]() |
| Picture taken literally 2 minutes after singing the final song for the new resource. |
We began our journey with a commissioning service.
We ended our journey (as a committee meeting together) with a sending forth service, looking forward to our new work of continued advocacy for the hymnal project. Our stoles with peacock feathers lining the way to the cross (above) were bestowed on us by David Eicher (yes, I was teary).
SING A NEW WORLD INTO BEING
One hymn text keeps speaking to me when I think about this project and about this new resource. Mel Bringle, the chair of the PCOCS wrote this text: Sing A New World into Being. I won't type it all here...because you should buy her hymn collection! (In Wind and Wonder: 75 Hymn Texts by Mary Louise Bringle)
(stanza 1)
Sing a new world into being.
Sound a bold and hopeful theme.
Find a tune for silent yearnings.
Lend your voice and dare to dream:
dream a church where all who worship
find their lives and loves belong.
Sing a new world into being.
Sing as Christ inspires your song!
(stanza 4)
Sing a new world into being.
Join the ancient prophet's cry
for a time of health and plenty
when all tears have been wiped dry;
when compassion flows like waters,
pouring balm for all who grieve.
Sing a new world into being:
live the promise you believe!
This is my prayer for this resource: that in singing from it, we will "sing a new world into being".
This I know
I know this hymnal will change lives.
I know this hymnal will inspire the church.
I know these songs will enliven worship in powerful ways.
I know familiar songs will sing anew.
I know new songs will speak truth.
This I pray
I pray the songs, text and tune, will be one way God brings unity to the church.
I pray we will sing from this hymnal, knowing we are one in the body of Christ.
I pray the Holy Spirit will bring surprises and breathe new life into our churches through this hymnal.
This I hope
I hope the cover imprint fades from greasy fingers.
I hope the pages get wrinkled or torn from constant use.
I hope my kids will sing from this hymnal...I hope my grandkids will too.
I praise!
I praise God for this resource of song and give God the Glory!
![]() |
| The soon-to-be available Presbyterian Hymnal! |
![]() |
| Saving a spot for it on my shelf (although it won't sit there very much, as I'll be singing from it!) |
We are a people who must sing you,
for the sake of our lives.
You are a God who must be sung by us,
for the sake of your majesty and honor.
And so we thank you,
for lyrics that push us past our reasons,
for melodies that break open our givens,
for cadences that locate us home,
beyond all our safe places,
for tones and tunes that open our lives beyond control
and our futures beyond despair.
We thank you for the long parade of mothers and fathers
who have sung you deep and true;
We thank you for the good company
of artists, poets, musicians, cantors, and instruments
that sing for us and with us, toward you.
We are witnesses to your mercy and splendor;
We will not keep silent...ever again. Amen.
- by Walter Brueggemann








Inclusive language aside, I like this poem:
ReplyDeleteFor the common things of everyday,
God gave man speech in a common way.
For higher things men think and feel,
God gave man poets, their words to reveal.
But for heights and depths no soul can reach,
God gave man music, the soul’s own speech.
I'm not going to lie ... I'm a little jealous that you got to do all of this! But what a cool opportunity to be able to be a young adult voice in the process of building a new hymnal. What a blessing!
ReplyDeleteJarrod J.
What a great addition to the PCOCS! One of the best references I have ever written. Proud of you.
ReplyDeleteVery awesome Chelsea. Wish I had heard about this back when you did, I would have loved to have a hand in it. I'm definitely suggesting that our church plan on purchasing this.
ReplyDeleteThis is Chris Burton from Baylor by the way, not sure why it's putting me down as "unknown" when it made me sign in first...
Thanks all!
DeleteHi Chris! Great to hear from you. I hope you are doing well.